17 December 2009

a lot of hard spaces

Space is all one space and thought is all one thought, but my mind divides its spaces into spaces into spaces and thoughts into thoughts into thoughts. Like a large condominium. Occasionally I think about the one Space and the one Thought, but usually I don't. Usually I think about my condominium.
  The condominium has hot and cold running water, a few Heinz pickles thrown in, some chocolate-covered cherries, and when Woolworth's hot fudge sundae switch goes on, then I know I really have something.
  (This condominium meditates a lot: it's usually closed for the afternoon, evening, and morning.)
  Your mind makes spaces into spaces. It's a lot of hard work. A lot of hard spaces. As you get older you get more spaces, and more compartments. And more things to put in the compartments.
  To be really rich, I believe, is to have one space. One big empty space.
  I really believe in empty spaces, although, as an artist, I make a lot of junk.
  Empty space is never-wasted space.
  Wasted space is any space that has art in it.

Andy Warhol, The Philosophy of Andy Warhol (1975: 143)